[Freedos-user] MS-DOS 7.10 ISO CD image bootable
Chema
2005-11-03 15:34:05 UTC
FYI:

MS-DOS 7.10 Installation CD
===========================

This is MS-DOS 7.10 Installation CD, which includes MS-DOS 7.10 Full
Version and some Add-Ons.

Please burn the CD ISO image (DOS71CD.ISO) to a CD-R/RW disc, or use
it as an emulated CD disc in a virtual machine (such as VMWare and
Virtual PC), then boot your system from this Installation CD in order
to install MS-DOS 7.10.

For more information, please come to:

http://www.cn-dos.net/msdos71/
Mark Bailey
2005-11-03 15:49:44 UTC
This appears to be a pirated copy of MS-DOS 7.1, probably
taken from Windows98SE. The original web site,
yginfo.net, disappeared some time ago.
Post by Chema
MS-DOS 7.10 Installation CD
===========================
Chema
2005-11-03 15:57:29 UTC
Yeah, you're right. But how can they extract the MS-DOS from Windows
98-SE? I was seeing the screenshots and the setup application is
identical to the MS-DOS 6.22!
Post by Mark Bailey
This appears to be a pirated copy of MS-DOS 7.1, probably
taken from Windows98SE. The original web site,
yginfo.net, disappeared some time ago.
Post by Chema
MS-DOS 7.10 Installation CD
===========================
Robert Riebisch
2005-11-03 16:40:00 UTC
Post by Chema
98-SE? I was seeing the screenshots and the setup application is
identical to the MS-DOS 6.22!
You know hex editors? ;-)

Robert Riebisch
--
BTTR Software
http://www.bttr-software.de/
Gerry Hickman
2005-11-03 21:54:19 UTC
Post by Chema
Yeah, you're right. But how can they extract the MS-DOS from Windows
98-SE?
I'm pretty sure you can extract DOS from Win95, 98, 98SE. First you get
the manifest files that tell you which file is in which CAB (or just
look), then you extract and expand the files you want from the CAB file,
put them into a boot image and off it goes. However, none of them are as
good as FreeDOS.

What I did was create four folders

Dos622
Win95
Win98SE
FreeDOS

then in each I got a compatible boot sector, then put the "DOS" files in
there too; this means it's easy to build bootable images of any of these
o/s at any time. Note also that if you are going to use MSCLIENT you
have to be very careful to match HIMEM, EMM386 with IFSHLP.SYS. Note
also that Dos622 is fussy about the actual sector locations of IO.SYS
and MSDOS.SYS
Gerry Hickman (London UK)
Carl Spitzer
2005-11-04 04:32:29 UTC
Post by Gerry Hickman
Hi,
Post by Chema
[...]
What would be fun would be to get help from the author of Hiren's boot
CD and make a multiboot DVD out of all four of these. Though I would
replace Win95 with Knoppix.
--