[Freedos-user] Cobalt OS 1.1
Corbin Davenport
2016-02-22 03:13:04 UTC
A little while back, I talked on here about my new FreeDOS distribution,
Cobalt. Cobalt is designed to make using DOS easier, by including
commonly-used drivers and software.

I just released Cobalt 1.1 on GitHub (changelog and download here
<https://github.com/corbindavenport/cobalt/releases/tag/1.1>). It has a few
improvements that were suggested on this mailing list. Most notably, it now
includes most FreeDOS packages built-in so there's no lack of functionality.

The other new feature is in the installer. Cobalt's installer now
automatically detects if you have a DOS-compatible OS installed already,
and will allow you to 'upgrade' to Cobalt without deleting any files. I
have tested this with installations of MS-DOS 6 and 7.1, but it should work
in FreeDOS just fine.

If anyone has any suggestions for Cobalt, let me know. All the info about
Cobalt can be found here <https://github.com/corbindavenport/cobalt>.

Corbin
Wayne Dernoncourt
2016-02-22 13:19:11 UTC
I'm planning on installing FreeDOS on a new/old Windows machine I just bought specifically to install FreeDOS. But it occurred to me that there was almost no way I was going to be able the _hooj_ (insert D Trump voice here) amount of disk space that would be leftover that I could keep Windows and shrink the existing partition and create a FreeDOS partition of a couple of gigabytes and then use a boot manager.

The main use of this machine will be to test disk drives, Windows automatically mounts and opens the drives so it would be difficult to do the "raw" I/O needed.

This clown speaks for himself
A little while back, I talked on here about my new FreeDOS distribution, Cobalt. Cobalt is designed to make using DOS easier, by including commonly-used drivers and software.
I just released Cobalt 1.1 on GitHub (changelog and download here). It has a few improvements that were suggested on this mailing list. Most notably, it now includes most FreeDOS packages built-in so there's no lack of functionality.
Louis Santillan
2016-02-22 15:40:14 UTC
Try Jeremy's Partition Resizer FD Image [0][1]. You'll need an
zip/archive program that decompress gzip.

[0] http://www.fdos.org/bootdisks/
[1] http://www.fdos.org/bootdisks/autogen/FDPRSZR.144.gz
Wayne Dernoncourt

Louis Santillan
2016-02-22 17:28:59 UTC
There are several listed here [0]. grub4dos and bootmgr seem to be
most popular.

[0] http://www.freedos.org/software/?cat=boot
Don Flowers
2016-02-22 17:38:10 UTC
Smart Boot Manager or Grub4DOS
https://sourceforge.net/projects/btmgr/

http://ftp.ibiblio.org/pub/micro/pc-stuff/freedos/files/util/boot/grub4dos/

SBM installs in MBR so no need for extra partition.
Grub4DOS will install boot code in MBR and GRLDR in FreeDOS partition.
Post by Louis Santillan
Post by Wayne Dernoncourt
"raw" I/O needed.
This clown speaks for himself
On Feb 21, 2016, at 9:13 PM, Corbin Davenport <
Post by Louis Santillan
Post by Wayne Dernoncourt
FreeDOS just fine.
If anyone has any suggestions for Cobalt, let me know. All the info
about
Post by Louis Santillan
Post by Wayne Dernoncourt
Cobalt can be found here.
Corbin
Post by Louis Santillan
Post by Wayne Dernoncourt
Post by Louis Santillan
Wayne Dernoncourt

Rugxulo
2016-02-22 21:11:26 UTC
Post by Wayne Dernoncourt
I'm planning on installing FreeDOS on a new/old Windows machine I just
bought specifically to install FreeDOS. But it occurred to me that there
was almost no way I was going to be able the _hooj_ (insert D Trump voice
here) amount of disk space that would be leftover that I could keep Windows
and shrink the existing partition and create a FreeDOS partition of a couple
of gigabytes and then use a boot manager.
Vista and newer can resize its own NTFS partitions. Perhaps if you're
trying to use XP then you'll need something else (GParted liveCD?).

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/shrink-and-extend-ntfs-volumes-in-windows/
dmccunney
2016-02-22 21:48:40 UTC
Post by Rugxulo
Vista and newer can resize its own NTFS partitions. Perhaps if you're
trying to use XP then you'll need something else (GParted liveCD?).
I used Win7 Disk Management to carve out a raw slice on the boot drive
to install Ubuntu to. I had to initialize it to get Windows to see
it, but Ubuntu booted from a USB drive saw the partition and installed
to it.

I redid my netbook with XP to dual boot Ubuntu as well, but GPartEd
refused to repartition the drive, reporting an error. ("unsupported
flag", IIRC)

A freeware Windows utility *would* repartition the drive and let me
install Ubuntu on an ext4 slice. I used
http://www.partitionwizard.com/free-partition-manager.html
______
Dennis