Wherefore art thou, packet driver? (was: Re: A little help here)
Rugxulo
2014-08-22 04:23:24 UTC
Hi,

N.B. The OP's subject line is too vague. You'd probably get more help
with a more specific description of the problem. Some people don't
have time to pore over all the various threads.

Anyways, please keep reading below, I'll (weakly) respond inline.
The PCNTPK driver is meant to be used only on computers with the AMD
PC-NET network card (which is also emulated by VirtualBox).
You most probably have a different network card - what you need is to
know exactly what network card you have (vendor/model), and then look
for a matching "packet driver". A packet driver is what makes it
possible for TCP stacks under DOS to use networking.
Mateusz
Georg Potthast has some packet drivers mirrored on his website:

http://www.georgpotthast.de/sioux/packet.htm

He also has NICSCAN, which "maybe" will help ease your search:

http://www.georgpotthast.de/sioux/pktdrv/nicscan.zip

But don't get your hopes up too high, a lot of (wired) network cards
these days probably aren't well-supported on DOS, if at all. Blame
your manufacturer directly (write them an email, offer to pay them,
etc).

Keep reading below.
I just installed freedos on a computer (not VirtualBox, real install)
and ive been trying to set up the network.
What kind of computer? What network card? What does Linux detect it
has? "dmesg | grep eth0"?
Just like in the instructions, I went into the autoexec.bat, and removed
the REM from REM LH PCNTPK INT=0x60. It gave me this error during
startup (PCNTPK-DOS-015: Device not found.)
Removing the LH and leaving only PCNTPK INT=0x60 gave me the same error
during startup. Because of this I cant use any network functions.
How do I fix this?
Well, the obvious answer (that you seem to avoid, why?) is to use an
emulator / hypervisor like VirtualBox. It works there, at least. I
know that's not necessarily ideal, but it's better than nothing.

Some of the more obvious packet drivers are in the set from Crynwr:

http://www.ibiblio.org/pub/micro/pc-stuff/freedos/files/distributions/1.1/repos/net/crynwr.zip

However, once again, you have to know exactly what you want and how to
set it up. I don't remember the details on searching for specific PCI
IDs, so you'll have to hope that someone like Eric Auer or Bernd Blauw
chime in here. Presumably you use something like PCISLEEP or BERNDPCI:

1). http://ericauer.cosmodata.virtuaserver.com.br/soft/pcisleep-2005mar12.zip
2). http://ericauer.cosmodata.virtuaserver.com.br/soft/specials/berndpci.zip

Wasn't there some database of all the various PCI devices? Was it some
website? Anyone remember? (Probably Eric does.) Hmmm, maybe this is
it:

http://pciids.sourceforge.net/

Hope some of this helps! Please report back to us with your results
(successes, failures).
Louis Santillan
Ulrich Hansen
Alain Mouette

Ulrich
2014-08-22 14:22:01 UTC
Hi Alain
Post by Alain Mouette
Is there a tutorial for using NDIS2 drives with freedos? I usualy use
www.netbootdisk.com but it would be nice to be able to do it manualy
I once wrote a (maybe a biit lengthy) tutorial at:

http://www.freedos.org/wiki/index.php/Networking_FreeDOS_-_NDIS_driver_installation

In short (ten steps):

1. Find the .dos driver for your card. Among your drivers installation files, look for a directory called "NDIS2".
2. Get Microsofts free MS Client, f.i. from http://www.ibiblio.org/pub/micro/pc-stuff/freedos/ftp.gcfl.net/pub/freedos/ms-clients/msclient/DSK3-1.EXE
3. move it to a temporary folder and run dsk3-1.exe
4. expand -r protman.do_
5. expand -r protman.ex_
6. Move protman.dos, protman.exe and netbind.com to a permanent directory f.i. C:\NET
7. Get dis_pkt.dos from http://www.ibiblio.org/pub/micro/pc-stuff/freedos/files/net/dis_pkt11.zip and copy it to C:\NET
8. Make a file C:\NET\PROTOCOL.INI with the content

[protman]
DriverName=PROTMAN$

[EL3C574]
DriverName=EL3C574$

[PKTDRV]
drivername=PKTDRV$
bindings=EL3C574
intvec=0x60
chainvec=0x68

and replace EL3C574 with the name of your .dos-driver without the .dos ending. Sometimes your .dos-driver comes with a .txt file that contains the exact info.

9. Add the following lines to FDCONFIG.SYS:

DEVICEHIGH=C:\NET\PROTMAN.DOS /I:C:\NET
DEVICEHIGH=C:\NET\EL3C574.DOS
DEVICEHIGH=C:\NET\DIS_PKT.DOS

10. Add the following line to AUTOEXEC.BAT:

C:\NET\NETBIND.COM

That's it. Please correct me, if anything is wrong or just different. It's been some time.
Ulrich
Alain Mouette