Packet drivers...
NA
2013-10-16 08:45:15 UTC
The free crynwr packet driver collection doesn't cover the Netgear
FA311 10/100 baseTX network card.

Uge! I've been google searching and have found BartPE, but that is a
Windows 98 boot disk.

I suppose some people like freedos's spotty support for modern network
cards, but then how does one
update freedos without networking??? Why not an on top of freedos
minimal Linux system that you
load using say loadlin for the sole purpose of running fdupdate? This
linux system can drop back
to freedos when it is done. This gets around having to support
network cards in freedos for which
there isn't any support. Another option is to revive freedos32 and
possibly design it so that
Linux packet drivers or Windows packet drivers can be used. Yet a
third option, install freedos
from a minimal bare bones Linux system that supports common network
cards which can be extended
to support other cards and provide instructions on how to add drivers
to the iso image prior to
burning it. A fourth solution is to get open source developers to
produce dos drivers for modern
network cards that came into existence after Microsoft dropped dos support.

Without a dos packet driver that works with your network card, forget
using Norton Ghost.

Syllable seems to have better network card support than freedos does
where syllable isn't: Dos based,
Windows based, or Linux based. How is that even possible?

Too bad there isn't a universal packet driver specification where the
high level logic is one piece
and the low level runtime is another piece that can be tailored to the
OS. Done right, this approach
should ease porting network cards to different operating systems that
support the specification. The
high level piece should provide a specific interface I suppose that
can be operated from a single
OS specific part. My idea is, write one low level piece and support
many high level card specific
components using it. For this to work, the drivers need to be open
source and care should be taken
to allow some flexibility in how the high level piece is compiled on
different OSes.

I hope packet driver support improves in freedos in the future or
perhaps fdupdate should be redesigned
for non network use.
Rugxulo
2013-10-17 05:12:36 UTC
Hi,
Post by NA
The free crynwr packet driver collection doesn't cover the Netgear
FA311 10/100 baseTX network card.
Blame Netgear. (It's their decision, not ours.)
Post by NA
Uge! I've been google searching and have found BartPE, but that is a
Windows 98 boot disk.
I suppose some people like freedos's spotty support for modern network
cards, but then how does one
update freedos without networking???
It is my understanding (though I've not personally tested it) that
Mateusz created an .iso that can be locally installed (without
networking) via FDNPKG.
Post by NA
Why not an on top of freedos
minimal Linux system that you
load using say loadlin for the sole purpose of running fdupdate? This
linux system can drop back
to freedos when it is done. This gets around having to support
network cards in freedos for which
there isn't any support.
That's what most people already do, just use another host OS to
download and manually transport the files.

However, if I may make a generalization (though I've not personally
tested 300+ distributions) ... there are not many (if any) true
"minimal" distros anymore. Everything for desktop use usually assumes
X11, and you're unlikely to even find most kernels for less than i686
and 128 MB RAM. (Feel free to make your own via Linux
NA
2013-10-17 07:47:03 UTC
Thank you for the heads up on fdupdate. I have a Linux from scratch
system that is Pentium III compatible, but that particular system
doesn't have X. I suppose I can get the files for freedos onto my
network somehow and
then use LFS NFS root to get them onto the Pentium III where freedos
can reach them. For that matter, I should
be able to download the updates using Windows 2000. If only I had
access to burnable cdrom media at the moment...

Not being able to network freedos is advantageous sometimes, but when
it comes to updating it is a real nuisance.
I hate having to work around problems like this. I think syllable has
a dos emulator... Syllable desktop tends
to be lighter weight than Linux. Too bad Syllable desktop is still in
Alpha. ReactOS is still in alpha as well.

ReactOS could be the replacement for Windows where some dos/Windows
games may be able to run at some point in ReactOS, maybe. Sadly,
ReactOS hasn't even reached the 0.4 stage yet and development seems to
be slowing down.

Syllable despite being in alpha is an awesome OS, but without word
processing and due to the fact that webster is a very limited web
browser, Syllable is not a very useful system yet. Syllable is by far
more stable than ReactOS.

On old computers, having to worry about Windows and/or Dos licenses is
a real nuisance.
Louis Santillan
2013-10-17 17:27:06 UTC
There is also David dunefield's PKTDRV <
http://www.classiccmp.org/dunfield/dos/index.htm> which has dozens if not
hundreds of drivers.

-L
Rugxulo
2013-10-18 01:15:23 UTC
Hi,
Thank you for the heads up on fdupdate. I have a Linux from scratch
system that is Pentium III compatible, but that particular system
doesn't have X.
Wget? Curl? Ftp? Lynx? Links? Elinks? W3m?
I suppose I can get the files for freedos onto my
network somehow and then use LFS NFS root to get them onto the
Pentium III where freedos can reach them. For that matter, I should
be able to download the updates using Windows 2000.
Ever tried the (fake, XP-ish) SwsVPkt?
If only I had access to burnable cdrom media at the moment...
No USB drive? Ever tried RUFUS?
Not being able to network freedos is advantageous sometimes, but when
it comes to updating it is a real nuisance.
Well, dare I say it, it's basically stable already ... except for some
very minor nits. The "BASE" probably? doesn't need many fixes.
I hate having to work around problems like this.
Unavoidable.
On old computers, having to worry about Windows and/or Dos licenses is a real nuisance.
If only that were our only problem!
Shane Baggs
2013-10-21 07:11:36 UTC
Date: Wed, 16 Oct 2013 01:45:15 -0700
Subject: [Freedos-user] Packet drivers...
The free crynwr packet driver collection doesn't cover the Netgear
FA311 10/100 baseTX network card.
Have you tried these packet drivers?

If your card has the National Semiconductor's DP83815 MacPhyter chipset:
http://www.ti.com/product/dp83815
http://www.ti.com/litv/zip/sllc425
The readme for C83815.com shows a special release of a Crynwr packet driver.

If your card has an RTL8139 chip:
http://www.georgpotthast.de/sioux/packet.htm
This page contains RTSPKT for the Realtek RTL8139, which works on my HP Pavilion.