[Freedos-user] For CD: Error reading from drive D: data area: drive not ready
John Hupp
2015-05-16 21:34:24 UTC
Hi, all.

It's been some years since I've been active on this list, but I hope you
can come through for me again now.

I installed 1.1 from the bootable CD, but from the installed DOS, I
can't access a CD-ROM. I get "Error reading from drive D: data area:
drive not ready."

I found this for VirtualBox:
http://www.freedos.org/wiki/index.php/VirtualBox_-_Chapter_12#Known_Bugs:_6._CD_changes_are_not_detected

For real hardware, is the XCDROM workaround the best solution?
John Hupp
2015-05-18 14:04:24 UTC
I tried updating to the latest uide.sys from
http://www.ibiblio.org/pub/micro/pc-stuff/freedos/files/dos/ellis/, but
I get the same error.

I also get the same error with the last version of xcdrom.sys.

Next-best solutions?
Don Flowers
2015-05-18 14:08:56 UTC
If you have a AHCI/SATA CD/DVD drive, try downloading the FreeDOS - SATA
for Ghost disk here, extract the AHCI.SYS driver and use the following
configuration.
@ECHO OFF
SHCDX86.COM /QQ /U
IF NOT EXIST CDROM001 DEVLOAD /Q /H C:\FDOS\BIN\AHCI.SYS /D:CDROM001 /H
IF NOT EXIST CDROM001 DEVLOAD /Q /H C:\FDOS\BIN\UIDE.SYS /D:CDROM001 /H
IF EXIST CDROM001 SHCDX86.COM /D:CDROM001,X /Q
Don Flowers
John Hupp
2015-05-18 14:30:23 UTC
Thanks for the idea and an interesting web page, but this is a plain old
IDE CD-ROM.
SHCDX86.COM <http://SHCDX86.COM> /QQ /U
IF NOT EXIST CDROM001 DEVLOAD /Q /H C:\FDOS\BIN\AHCI.SYS
/D:CDROM001 /H
IF NOT EXIST CDROM001 DEVLOAD /Q /H C:\FDOS\BIN\UIDE.SYS
/D:CDROM001 /H
IF EXIST CDROM001 SHCDX86.COM <http://SHCDX86.COM> /D:CDROM001,X /Q
On Mon, May 18, 2015 at 10:04 AM, John Hupp
Post by John Hupp
you can come through for me again now.
I installed 1.1 from the bootable CD, but from the installed
DOS, I
drive not ready."
Post by John Hupp
For real hardware, is the XCDROM workaround the best solution?
One dashboard for servers and applications across
Physical-Virtual-Cloud
Performance metrics, stats and reports that give you
Actionable Insights
http://ad.doubleclick.net/ddm/clk/290420510;117567292;y
Don Flowers
2015-05-18 14:35:13 UTC
Is it a slave or secondary master drive?
Deep dive visibility with transaction tracing using APM Insight.http://ad.doubleclick.net/ddm/clk/290420510;117567292;y
Don Flowers
John Hupp
2015-05-18 18:17:18 UTC
Thanks, that sort of works. Based on the cdrom.bat commands, this
snippet from my current autoexec.bat works:

=======================
REM (some commands)

SHSUCDX /QQ /D3
LH SHSUCDHD /QQ /F:FDBOOTCD.ISO

REM (some commands)

REM DEVLOAD /H /Q %dosdir%\BIN\UIDE.SYS /H /D:FDCD0001 /S5

DEVLOAD /H /Q %dosdir%\BIN\XCDROM.SYS /H /D:FDCD0001
SHSUCDX /QQ /~ /D:?SHSU-CDR,D /D:?SHSU-CDH,D /D:?FDCD0001,D
/D:?FDCD0002,D /D:?FDCD0003,D

SHSUCDX /QQ /U
DEVLOAD /Q /H C:\FDOS\BIN\XCDROM.SYS /D:FDCD0001 /H
SHSUCDX /D:FDCD0001,D /Q
=======================

With this, I can access the cdrom as E: (not D:).

But I have not been able to merge the last 5 command into just 2 or 3.
Among many attempts, I think I tried just running the last 3 of the 5
and that failed as before. What am I not seeing?
Post by Don Flowers
One of these two should work. These are batch files so rename them
accordingly.
Is it a slave or secondary master drive?
On Mon, May 18, 2015 at 10:30 AM, John Hupp
Post by Don Flowers
http://www.rmprepusb.com/tutorials/winimage
On Mon, May 18, 2015 at 10:08 AM, Don Flowers
Post by John Hupp
For real hardware, is the XCDROM workaround the
best solution?
One dashboard for servers and applications across
Physical-Virtual-Cloud
Widest out-of-the-box monitoring support with 50+
applications
John Hupp
2015-05-18 18:48:40 UTC
Taking the next obvious step, I can even successfully condense the last
5 lines as below (which lets me access the drive as E:, not D:), but I
have not succeeded beyond that.

=======================
REM (some commands)

SHSUCDX /QQ /D3
LH SHSUCDHD /QQ /F:FDBOOTCD.ISO

REM (some commands)

REM DEVLOAD /H /Q %dosdir%\BIN\UIDE.SYS /H /D:FDCD0001 /S5

DEVLOAD /Q /H C:\FDOS\BIN\XCDROM.SYS /D:FDCD0001 /H
SHSUCDX /D:FDCD0001,D /Q

SHSUCDX /QQ /U
DEVLOAD /Q /H C:\FDOS\BIN\XCDROM.SYS /D:FDCD0001 /H
SHSUCDX /D:FDCD0001,D /Q
=======================

(And yes, fdconfig.sys does have LASTDRIVE=Z.)
best solution?
Don Flowers
2015-05-18 18:58:17 UTC
If you have other partitions they will always be "seen" by FreeDOS diskinit
before any of your drivers are loaded therefore it is best to reassign your
drive letter. FreeDOS 1.1 uses a default of X: and I follow that
assignment. This will result in a consistent drive assignment for your CD.
Also unless you plan on regularly booting CDROM images as opposed to real
"burned" CD-ROMs, the simplified files I sent are adequate for everyday
use.
John Hupp
2015-05-18 19:29:38 UTC
Point well taken about diskinit and a consistent drive assignment,
though in this case it will probably not matter.

I don't have any plan to boot CDROM images on this -- the FDBOOTCD.ISO
command was just part of the auto-installed configuration.

If I substitute SHSUCDX /D:FDCD0001,X /Q in both locations below, I then
can access the drive as Y: (the same behavior as FDCD0001,D resulting in
access as E:).

What I don't understand is why I have to unload SHSUCDX and then re-run
the same two commands as above the unload.
Don Flowers
John Hupp
2015-05-18 20:02:59 UTC
You're right, I get exactly the same result if I rem out that line.

I then arrive at this as the most economical working configuration:

=======================
REM (some commands)

SHSUCDX /QQ /D3

REM (some commands)

DEVLOAD /Q /H C:\FDOS\BIN\XCDROM.SYS /D:FDCD0001 /H
SHSUCDX /D:FDCD0001,X /Q

DEVLOAD /Q /H C:\FDOS\BIN\XCDROM.SYS /D:FDCD0001 /H
SHSUCDX /D:FDCD0001,X /Q
=======================

But SHSUCDX /D then reports X: and Y: as the drive assignments, and only
Y: works. X: produces the error I first reported.

So it's not entirely clean and clear, but have I just arrived at the
best workaround?
Post by Don Flowers
If you have other partitions they will always be "seen" by
FreeDOS diskinit before any of your drivers are loaded therefore
it is best to reassign your drive letter. FreeDOS 1.1 uses a
default of X: and I follow that assignment. This will result in a
consistent drive assignment for your CD. Also unless you plan on
regularly booting CDROM images as opposed to real "burned"
CD-ROMs, the simplified files I sent are adequate for everyday use.
On Mon, May 18, 2015 at 2:48 PM, John Hupp
Post by Don Flowers
One of these two should work. These are batch files so
rename them accordingly.
On Mon, May 18, 2015 at 10:35 AM, Don Flowers
Don Flowers
2015-05-18 20:14:01 UTC
are you using only xcrdom.sys or combining it with UIDE or UDVD? I prefer
UIDE instead of xcdrom.sys on my IDE drives, and on one of my quirkier
machines shsucdx doesn't work but shcdx86.com does.
John Hupp
2015-05-18 21:33:23 UTC
Continuing to think in other directions at the moment, I tried mscdex +
a cdrom driver of unknown origin named ide-cd.sys (dated 1998). Those
two worked.

Then I tried shsucdx + ide-cd.sys and those two worked.

I wish I knew the origin of ide-cd.sys (or maybe I don't want to know),
but I'm ready to call this the best and cleanest solution on this rig.
Maybe I can do better on my next build.
It seems that the latest xcdrom.sys (which I have been using) is the
same version as on a Freedos 1.0 install I had some long time ago.
But the current shsucdx is 2011 instead of 2006 on Freedos 1.0.
So I tried the same xcdrom + shsucdx pair copied from that working
install. But it produces the same error as originally reported
without the redundant pairs of commands workaround.
I rem'ed out the uide.sys line after both the original and the latest
available update yielded the same error. After that I began working
on the best setup with the last xcdrom.sys.
I've been assuming that we are dealing with uide/xcdrom bugs here
rather than a shsucdx bug.
I have not tried any other cdrom drivers or cdx programs.
<http://shcdx86.com> does.
the best workaround?
John Hupp

at the best workaround?
Don Flowers
Dario Roncone
2015-05-19 11:11:04 UTC
There exist a tool, a programm that assign the drive letter in
Free-DOS version 1.0 final 2005
x:\freedos\setup\odin i have don´t remember the name of this Programm
go and replace shsusdcx.com (
John Hupp
2015-05-19 14:02:20 UTC
This is a case where it's hard to say whether shsucdex or the various
other cdrom drivers are falling short. But in my current solution
shsucdex works and doesn't need to be replaced. Mscdex also worked. I
couldn't get uide.sys or xcdrom.sys to work, but ide-cd.sys does work.
So it seems like the fault is in the cdrom driver rather than the cdx
program.
John Hupp
solution?
Don Flowers
2015-05-18 15:08:54 UTC
I just checked my only PC with a secondary master drive. If neither of the
two configurations work, on the batch file loading UIDE try loading
UDVD2.SYS instead.
Secondary master.
Don Flowers